Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The health and safety of our students, employees and community continues to be our top priority. Cases of COVID-19 continue to be reported in Iowa and NICC continues to closely monitor the situation. We will follow the guidance of the Iowa Department of Health, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and other agencies when making changes to our plan and making steps to re-open in phases.


Last Updated: 5/18/2020 - Northeast Iowa Community College (NICC) is implementing the next step of our pandemic plan and will continue to monitor situations in our communities:

  • Many college staff and faculty are working remotely and are here to help students and the community. Please call 844.642.2338 to reach us.
  • College campus and center buildings are closed to the public until further notice.
  • All credit classes will continue online.
  • Some classes and labs will begin in person as guided by the vice presidents. Classes will be offered via a safe environment.
  • College sponsored travel restrictions remain in place.
  • All events scheduled to be held at NICC are cancelled until further notice.

How can we help stop the spread of COVID-19?

We all can help stop the spread of COVID-19 by following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines. Stay home and social distance.

Should I wear a face mask in public settings?

The CDC does recommend wearing a cloth face covering in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies), especially in areas of significant community-based transmission. View more info about face coverings from the CDC and how to make your own.

Where can I find the most up-to-date information about COVID-19?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the best place to find the most current information.

What are COVID-19 Symptoms?

Coronaviruses are respiratory, meaning most people who have a Coronavirus will have a cough, difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, and fever. View the CDC About Coronavirus Disease page for additional information.

How do people get Coronavirus?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provides the most accurate information.

Who is considered at higher risk?

Older adults and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions may be at higher risk for more serious complications from COVID-19. These people who may be at higher risk of getting very sick from this illness, includes:

  • Older adults
  • People who have serious chronic medical conditions like:
    • Heart disease
    • Diabetes
    • Lung disease

How can we prevent the spread of COVID-19?

  • Staying home if you are sick
  • Avoiding close contact with people who are sick
  • Covering your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze
  • Thoroughly washing your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
    • If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
  • Avoiding touching your eyes, nose and mouth
  • Disinfecting surfaces and objects using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe

What should I do if I am infected with the Coronavirus?

If you are sick with COVID-19 or suspect you are infected with the virus that causes COVID-19, follow the steps below to help prevent the disease from spreading to people in your home and community:

  • Call ahead before visiting your doctor
  • Stay home except to get medical care
  • Separate yourself from other people and animals in your home
  • Wear a facemask
  • Cover your coughs and sneezes
  • Clean your hands often
  • Avoid sharing personal household items
  • Clean all "high-touch" surfaces everyday
  • Monitor your symptoms

More information regarding steps to take when you are sick can be found at the CDC Steps to Take when Sick page.

What if I am unable to attend class?

If a student is unable to attend class they need to notify their instructor by email (preferred) or phone as soon as possible.

What if class is cancelled due to instructor illness?

If an instructor cancels class, students will be notified through their College email or a Brightspace announcement.

What if I have questions on my financial aid or FAFSA?

Call the Financial Aid Office:

  • 844.642.2338 (Mon. - Fri., 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
  • Calmar area: ext. 1230 or 1236
  • Peosta area: ext. 2219 or 2220

New Federal Student Aid Flexibilities for Students, Parents and Borrowers: Students, parents and borrowers can go to the Federal Student Aid (FSA) for important updates regarding federal student aid in response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19). They have a student and borrower question and answer section and links to resources relating to COVID-19.

College staff and faculty are working remotely and are here to help students and the community. Please call 844.642.2338 to reach us or use additional contacts below.

Technology Support (NICC Help Desk)

Online and Blended Learning


  • Refer to the course syllabus in Brightspace for your faculty’s contact information.
  • Call Online and Blended Learning if you are uncertain how to navigate Brightspace.

Academic Deans

  • Chris Carlson - Dean of Career and Technical Education,, 844.642.2338 ext. 2168
  • Laura Menke - Dean of Allied Health,, 844.642.2338 ext. 2498
  • Jeff Murphy - Dean of Business, Arts and Science,, 844.642.2338 ext. 1235
  • Sue Schneider - Dean of Nursing,, 844.642.2338 ext. 2209

Student Services/Advising/Financial Aid

  • Email:
  • Phone: 844.642.2338, ext. 2700 (7:30 AM - 5:00 PM, Monday - Friday)
  • Zoom appointments – make a request using one of the above

Learning Center


  • Email: (Calmar) or (Peosta)
  • Phone: 844.642.2338, ext. 1378 (Randi Burns - Calmar) or ext. 2215 (Brooke Martin - Peosta)
  • Zoom appointments – make a request using one of the above
  • Resources online at Counseling Resources and in Brightspace

Student Crisis Fund

Disability Services

  • Email: (Calmar) or (Peosta)
  • Phone: 844.642.2338, ext. 1258 (Anna Stamat - Calmar) or ext. 2280 (Adam Green - Peosta)
  • Zoom appointments – make a request using one of the above
  • General information and resources online at Disability Services


TRIO (Peosta only)

  • Email: (Cindy Virta) or (Jodi Kremer)
  • Phone: 844.642.2338, ext. 2406 (Cindy Virta) or ext. 2405 (Jodi Kremer)
  • Phone: 844.642.2338, ext. 2408 (Nikki Atnip) to schedule appt
  • Zoom appointments – make a request using one of the above
  • TRIO Tutor: email (Sue Miller) for tutoring appt. TRIO Students only.
  • Online resources available at TRIO

High School Partnerships

  • Email: (Missy Hvitved), (Caitlin Stelken), (Katie Gilbert), (Janet Smith)
  • Phone: 844.642.2338
    • Missy Hvitved ext. 1157 (Northern end high schools)
    • Caitlin Stelken ext. 2393 (Southern end high schools)
    • Katie Gilbert ext. 2389 (Associate Dean of High School Partnerships)
    • Janet Smith ext. 2320 (Administrative Assistant)
  • Zoom appointment – request using the above

Student Life

  • Email:
  • Phone: 844.642.2338, ext. 2104
  • Watch NICC email for virtual student life events

Finance Office

To Report a Concern, Incident or Unresolved Complaint:

  • Incident of Concern Form
  • Complaint Form - In the event of a complaint, issues should be resolved at the lowest level possible to resolve the concern quickly and to the satisfaction of those involved. Students are encouraged to make an informal inquiry to an instructor, advisor or assigned dean/director as soon as possible following the event that gave rise to the complaint.

Should I cancel my travel plans?

CDC provides recommendations on postponing or canceling travel. These are called travel notices and are based on assessment of the potential health risks involved with traveling to a certain area. More information can be found on the CDC Travelers page.

Will the college cancel scheduled trips (class trips, in-state or out-of-state competitions, etc.) for students?

Scheduled events and trips are subject to evolving conditions in many areas of the country. The college will monitor scheduled activities and travel recommendations. Travel will be considered on a case-by-case basis. If a scheduled trip is canceled students will be notified by a college official. Faculty, in conjunction with the Department Dean, will communicate any travel changes to students.

What do I do if I have domestic/international travel planned?

For the most up-to-date travel notices and resources visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).