Adult Learners

Northeast Iowa Community College isn’t your typical college. We provide offerings for community members of all ages, including adults. Even if you don’t consider yourself a “typical” college student, we can provide basic skill instruction, language development, personal and professional development courses and a path to a degree or diploma at the high school or secondary level.

Click the statements below to help determine your needs and how NICC can assist you.

I do not have my high school diploma

If you were previously homeschooled or did not receive a high school diploma, you may enroll in classes to earn your high school equivalency diploma at one of several locations throughout northeast Iowa.

If you were enrolled in high school but did not complete, are younger than 21 and live in the Dubuque area, you may participate in our Re-Engage Dubuque partnership, which is a non-traditional high school diploma option.

Please note, HiSET preparation is individualized, so you may attend as your schedule allows and work at your own pace.

I do not speak English / No hablo Inglés / Waxaan Ingiriiska ku hadlin

If you do not speak English or need to improve your English-speaking skills, attend our English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes available throughout northeast Iowa. ESOL classes help people with limited English skills to improve their listening, reading, speaking and writing skills for their daily life and work. Please note, ESOL offerings have regular class times.

No hablo Inglés; yo hablo español.

El noreste de Iowa Community College ofrece clases de idioma Inglés durante todo el año en varios lugares en todo el noreste de Iowa. Las clases de inglés ayudan a las personas con conocimientos limitados en el idioma  para  mejorar las habilidades de  escuchar, leer, hablar y escribir ; y asi ser usadas en la vida cotidiana. Llame 888.642.2338, ext. 105, para obtener más información.

Waxaan Ingiriiska ku hadlin, Anigu waan hadli Soomaali.

Northeast Iowa Community College bixiyaa fasalo luuqada sanadka oo dhan Ingiriisi dhawr meelood dhammaan waqooyi Iowa. Fasallada luqadda Ingiriisiga caawiyo dadka la xirfado Ingiriisi oo xadidan si loo hagaajiyo ee dhegaysiga, akhriska, ku hadalka iyo qoritaanka nolol maalmeedka oo dalka Mareykanka ah. Wac 888.642.2338, ext. 105, wixii macluumaad dheeraad ah.

I want to improve basic skills

Adult Basic Education (ABE) classes are vocationally based and designed for students with learning challenges or disabilities who want to build on their current skills.

Refresher Services offer drop-in opportunities for high school graduates who are now, or will soon be, enrolled in college to review basic reading, writing or math skills needed for college success or career preparation.

View a district-wide schedule of Basic Skills courses (excluding Dubuque). Please note, Refresher Services are individualized, so those interested can come as their schedule allows and work at their own pace. ABE offerings have regular class times. Classes offered in Luster Heights and Elm street are not open to public.

View Adult Education and Literacy Class schedule in Dubuque.

I want to earn college credit or a degree.

NICC offers more than 65 degree programs at various service locations or online. These programs can be completed in two years or less and can help you gain employment or transfer to a four-year institution to earn your bachelor’s degree.

The College also offers Career Pathway Certificates, which are designed to provide job-skills and training to help you gain entry-level employment or transition with some credit hours into an existing degree program at the College.  

The Degree After Five program offers those with busy lifestyles the opportunity to complete your degree with online coursework combined with face-to-face evening classes.

I want to take classes for professional development or personal interest.

The Business and Community Solutions division of the College offers courses in business, computers, trades and industry, professional licensure and more. You can take one course or several to expand your skills or advance in your career. You may also enroll in a personal interest course just for fun! These courses are available throughout the district and have various start dates. Search and register for professional development or personal interest courses.

I think my child, friend, relative or I may have dyslexia.

Dyslexia is characterized by difficulties in learning to read or interpret words, letters and other symbols. Dyslexia services are offered in partnership with Unified Therapy Services. These services are provided to  children as well as adults!