Northeast Iowa Career Learning Link
Northeast Iowa Career Learning Link (CLL) is a program that exposes students to high-demand career areas and sets them on the pathway to career and educational success beyond high school. The program provides work-based learning opportunities for students in partnership with local businesses.
NICC's Career Learning Link is a member of the Iowa Intermediary Network. Visit to learn more and follow us on social media!
** Due to COVID-19, on-site work-based learning has been suspended **
Benefits for Students and Educators
- Students (and parents!) save time and money by knowing the career path to follow after high school.
- Career coaches work with students to find the right post-graduation plan.
- Opportunities for job shadows, internships and career mentoring.
Benefits for Business Partners
- Recruit future workforce by connecting with schools and individual students.
- Provide professional development to teachers regarding careers in your industry through workshops and externships.
- Serve as a career mentor to a student interested in your field of work.
Forms and Resources
- Employer Work-based Learning Checklist
- Iowa Work-based Learning Guide
- Candid Career - View Short Career and Job Search Videos from Professionals
- High School Outreach Team
Department of Education - Sectors of Opportunity - Iowa Career Pathway Mapping Projects
- Opportunities in Advanced Manufacturing - Iowa Career Pathways
- Opportunities in Building Trades - Iowa Career Pathways
- Opportunities in Energy - Iowa Career Pathways
- Opportunities in Health Sciences - Iowa Career Pathways
- Opportunities in IT - Iowa Career Pathways
- Opportunities in Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics- Iowa
Department of Education - Industry Toolkits
- Health Science WBL Toolkit
- Manufacturing WBL Toolkit
- Transportation Distribution and Logistics (TDL) WBL Toolkit
Career Learning Link Upcoming Events
|Multiple||NICC General Campus Visit Day - Now Virtual||Peosta & Calmar||Students|
|July 13||UI Carver College of Medicine FUTURE in Biomedicine Zoom presentations 3:30 - 5 PM||Online||Students|
|Sept. 17||Delaware County Healthcare Awareness Day||Manchester||Students|
|Sept. 22||Norman Borlaug Farm Visit Day||Cresco||Students|
|Oct. 2||Delaware County Advanced Manufacturing Day||Various||Students|
|Oct. 7||Construction Career Day||U of W, Platteville||Students|
|Oct. 20||Gundersen Exploratory Surgery Day||La Crosse, WI||Students|
|Oct. 28||NICC Agriculture Career Fair||Calmar||Students|
|Nov 14-19||Health Professionals Week - Explore Careers Confidently||Online||Students|
|Dec 2 or 9||NICC Cresco Center & RHS Healthcare Careers Event||Cresco||Students|
|TBD||UNI Syndavar Lab Experience||Cedar Falls||Students|
|TBD||Culinary/Hospitality Event @ Casino Queen||Marquette||Students|
|TBD||Adam's Pet Hospital Visit Day||Asbury||Students|
|TBD||Bear Creek Archeology Experience||Cresco||Students|
|TBD||Anamosa State Penitentiary Career Experience||Anamosa||Students|
|Feb Dates||New Hampton 8th Grade Career Week||Various||Students|
|Mar 9||AEA Science Fair | Calmar Campus||Calmar||Students|
|Mar 11||AEA Science Fair | Peosta Campus||Peosta||Students|
|Mar 31||NICC/UIU Career Exploration Fair||Fayette||Students|
|Apr 22 or 29||NE Iowa STEM Festival | Luther College||Decorah||Students|
“At the day-long program at the Mayo Clinic, I performed six mock orthopedic surgeries and biomechanical engineering experiments. The Perry Outreach program and the Career Learning Link partnership allowed me to grasp a better understanding of what surgeons and engineers really do on a day-to-day basis.”
West Delaware High School graduate
“Winneshiek Medical Center has offered job shadows, tours, and experiential learning to students across the area for decades. Because experience is one of the key methods of learning used in health care, it was a natural fit to partner with the Career Learning Link to continue offering these experiences. Our collaboration with NICC Career Learning Link is important because it gives us the opportunity to connect with the bright and dedicated youth in the area who may one day become our employees.”
Elly Lensch, MLS
Winneshiek Medical Center Education Department
“My students began to see the benefits of the program right away through working with their career coach, going on job shadows and self-reflection. Participating in the Career Learning Link is for every student who wants to give their future a jump start.”
Jodi Ehlers, Business Teacher and School-to-Work Coordinator
Edgewood-Colesburg High School