Calmar, Peosta, Online
Program Entry: Fall, Spring, Summer
Award: Associate of Science
The Associate of Science Degree is primarily designed to enable students to transfer work to a four-year college or university for the purpose of earning a baccalaureate degree. This degree program also offers opportunities for personal enrichment or career enhancement and provides a foundation in mathematics and science designed for transfer in a prescribed area of specialization. You should choose an intended major at a transfer institution as soon as possible and select courses which are required for your major.
1. The Associate of Science degree will include a minimum of 60 semester hours of courses designed and acceptable for transfer, and may include up to 16 semester hours of career-technical courses. Note: Students not ready to begin college/transfer level writing and math courses may need additional prerequisite course work that requires them to exceed the 60 credit hours minimum.
2. Students transferring an Associate of Arts degree to a public university must have maintained a minimum cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 2.0 on all graded arts and sciences courses acceptable for transfer.
3. A 2.0 cumulative GPA and a passing grade in all required courses.
4. At least 18 credit hours must be earned at NICC. Individual departments may require specific courses to meet this requirement.
5. Demonstrated computer literacy is a requirement for graduation. This requirement may be met with: BCA:112, BCA:212, GIS:111.
6. Completion of SDV:179 The College Experience course.
Minimum Credits: 60
Meet minimum general education core requirements in each of the following areas:
|General Education Core Requirements||Credits|
|Communication: ENG:105, SPC:112 and ENG:106 or ENG:108||9.0|
|Math and Science (transfer-level): Math: MAT; Science: BIO, CHM, ENV, PHS, PHY. One science course must include a lab component.||20.0|
|Humanities/Social Science (transfer-level): Social Science: ECN, GEO, POL, PSY, SOC; Humanities: ART, ASL, CLS, DRA, FLS, HIS, HUM, LIT, MUA, MUS, PHI, REL||12.0|
|One of the following history courses is required: ART:203, ART:204, HIS:131, HIS:132, HIS:151, HIS:152, HIS:214.|
|One of the following diversity courses is required: ASL:131, ASL:161, ASL:241, ASL:271, CLS:150, FLS:141, FLS:142, FLS:242, FLS:282, HIS:214, HUM:108, HUM:170, LIT:186, SOC:208.|
Remaining Requirements: The remaining 19 semester hours will be accepted from arts and sciences electives designed and acceptable for transfer, with the understanding that up to 16 semester hours of career and technical credit could be applied. (See the Course Classification System guide.)
Employment information for this program is not available at this time.
Jeff Murphy, MA
Dean of Arts and Science, Calmar
800.728.2256, ext. 235
Dean of Arts & Sciences, Peosta
800.728.7367, ext 207