Are Online Courses Right For Me?
Students often wonder if they will be successful in online coursework and programs. The list below presents common characteristics found among the most successful online students. This list is not meant to be exclusionary in nature but to present a list of actions, behaviors and skills sets that will lead to your success.
- Students should be comfortable with computers and technology. Knowing how to use the Internet will save time and energy.
- Students should be strong readers. There is often more reading in an online class because the instructor and classmates communicate through writing.
- Students should be self-motivated. The flexible structure of an online course means students will have to organize their time wisely and take responsibility for getting help, turning in assignments on time and communicating with the instructor.
Take the quiz below to determine whether online courses are a good fit for you. Then contact an NICC advisor to discuss your best options.
1. My technology access is best described as:
2. My technology skills are:
3. Face-to-face communication is:
4. When I need help in class:
5. The amount of uninterrupted time I have to devote to an online class is:
6. I would describe my personal style as:
7. My reading and writing abilities are:
8. When it comes to analyzing class materials and expressing my own opinions about them I feel…
9. Class discussions are:
10. When it comes to learning:
11. I am considering taking an online course because:
- Degree Programs
- Distance Learning
- Workforce Training
- Academic Support Services
- 2015 - 2016 College Catalog
- Study Abroad