Dubuque Learning Center
No matter where you are in your education and training, the Learning Center located at the Dubuque Center offers individualized support to help you meet your goals. Teachers, tutors, success coaches and other staff are all available to help you identify your skills, overcome obstacles and guide you towards a meaningful career or further education.
The Learning Center offers:
- One-on-one assistance
- Individualized tutoring
- Freedom to progress at your own speed
- Flexible hours
- Computer-based study programs including Career Ready 101 to prepare for the National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) and ALEKS to develop math skills
- Extensive video, audio and textbook library
- Opportunity to “brush up” on skills (keyboarding, reading, writing, language and math)
- Preparation for ACT Compass® placement exam
- Dyslexia tutoring
- High school correspondence with more than 60 semester-long high-school classes that can be transferred to your high school
- A comfortable environment in which to study between classes
- Access to computers, a printer and quiet study rooms
- Access to the Telegraph Herald, the local daily newspaper
- Daily open writing and math classes
- Weekly study skills classes
- Connection to Re-engage Dubuque, a partnership with the Dubuque Community Schools to recover high school drop outs
Adult Education and Literacy services include:
- Adult Basic Education: Earn certificates for measured improvement in reading, writing and math.
- Brush-Up: Basic skills support for current/potential credit students and résumé prep for job-seekers.
- High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) Preparation: Prepare to complete the five HiSET (formerly GED) tests in language arts/reading, language arts/writing, social studies, science and mathematics. Online computer programs are available for individualized study in the Learning Center or at home.
- Learning the English Language: For new or non-English speaking students, materials and programs such as Rosetta Stone and TOEFL are available for personalized study on the computer.