The Financial Aid Office encourages all students to apply for financial aid through the FAFSA. A student is eligible for federal and state financial aid based upon the following criteria:

  • Is a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Has a high school diploma, high school equivalency diploma or has completed home schooling at the secondary level
  • Maintains satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
  • Is accepted into a degree/diploma program
  • Possesses a valid Social Security Number
  • Has registered with the Selective Service, if required
  • Does not owe a refund on a federal grant or is not in default on a federal educational loan

Financial Aid Eligibility Notes

  • Federal student loans must be repaid.
  • Students must be enrolled at least half-time (six credits) to qualify for a federal direct student loan.
  • Students who are enrolled less than half-time may be eligible for the Pell Grant and some other federal student aid on a prorated basis.
  • Students who have received a bachelor’s degree are not eligible for the Pell Grant but may be eligible for other federal student aid.
  • Students attending two schools in the same enrollment period must inform both Financial Aid Offices. Students cannot receive federal aid from two schools at the same time.
  • A student convicted of drug distribution or possession while receiving financial aid may not be eligible for future federal financial aid.

Request for Special Conditions 

  • Students who are homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless, have options when completing the FAFSA. Please refer to the Federal Student Aid and Homeless Youth Q&A for assistance in determining whether you meet these conditions.
  • Some students and their families may encounter financial circumstances that are drastically different from the information included on the FAFSA. These circumstances may be for the student, a parent or a spouse and may include:
    • unemployment, reduced employment, or job change 
    • separation or divorce
    • death of a spouse, parent or child after filing the FAFSA
    • received a one-time non-recurring income (IRA or pension rollover, inheritance, etc.) 

Students should contact the Financial Aid Office in order to determine if they may meet one of these conditions.