In the event of a concern or complaint at Northeast Iowa Community College, issues should be resolved at the lowest level possible to maximize efficiency. Students are encouraged to make an informal inquiry to an instructor, advisor or assigned dean/director as soon as possible following the event that gave rise to the complaint.
Staff, visitors, community members or other individuals are encouraged to make informal inquiries to the designated staff person with assigned responsibility in the area of concern as soon as possible to reach a resolution.
When resolution is not reached or not practical though informal inquiry, a formal complaint may be issued. A formal complaint is required in writing, is signed by the individual and is submitted to the provost of the respective campus. The provost will forward the complaint to the appropriate College representative for resolution. The representative areas include:
- The vice president of academic affairs and department deans/director: Complaints that concern faculty, instruction, grades and academic processes.
- The vice president of student services: Behavior/misconduct reports and complaints regarding student services department policies or processes.
- The vice president of finance and administration: Complaints related to financial or billing issues.
- Executive director of human resources: Complaints related to discrimination/harassment and formal grievances from bargaining unit members.
- Campus provosts: Complaints related to facility and auxiliary services including bookstore, cafeteria, Child Development Center, maintenance/custodial, learning and writing centers, Testing Centers, library, print shop and Disability Services.
- Vice president of Business and Community Solutions: Complaints from Business and Community Solutions, service locations and/or business and industry partners.
A meeting will be arranged with the individual and, if necessary, the charged party according to the NICC policy to the related charge.