Regional Academy for Math and Science
Centrally located, the Regional Academy for Math and Science (RAMS) / Oelwein Center provides Oelwein and the surrounding communities the opportunity to take classes in their program of study, earn college credit in high school, complete the High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED), take recertification and professional development coursework close to home and work.
The center provides students similar services that are available at our campus locations, including: academic advising, testing, registration, computer lab, health simulation lab, career planning, job search assistance, financial aid and much more.
Earn Your High School Diploma
Open the door to better jobs. You will work with our team to earn your high school equivalency diploma (HSED) through a combination of in-person and online classes. These classes are tuition-free, include progress checks and practice exams to prepare you for the High School Equivalency Test (HiSET). With your high school diploma, you can:
- Complete a short-term training certificate in six months or less
- Enroll in a diploma or degree program at NICC
- Find a better job with a sustainable wage
Earn Your Career Pathway Certificate
- Stop by/Schedule an appointment at the Oelwein Center for assistance with applying to the college.
- Submit official high school, high school equivalency, and/or college transcripts to the campus you plan to attend. You can also drop off at the Oelwein Center.
- Schedule an appointment to take your placement testing at the Oelwein Center (ACCUPLACER® reading and writing and ALEKS® math assessment).
Placement Test Scheduling
- Complete ACCUPLACER® reading and writing assessment and ALEKS® math assessment for course placement at the Oelwein Center.
- Assessments may be waived based on previous college coursework or submission of valid ACT®, ACT Compass® or ALEKS® test scores. ACCUPLACER® scores are valid for three years, and ALEKS® scores are valid for 18 months.
- Schedule your appointment by contacting the Oelwein Center.
Financial Aid Assistance
- Schedule an appointment by contacting the Oelwein Center for assistance completing your FAFSA.
- Complete your FAFSA online.
- Inquire about scholarship and/or grant opportunities for certificate programs.
Academic Advising and Course Registration
- Schedule an appointment by contacting the Oelwein Center.
- Course advising for credit and non-credit programming.
- Course registration for credit and non-credit programming.
College Credit for High School Students
- High School students may be able to earn college credit at NICC while still in high school. Stop by/schedule an appointment the Oelwein Center to learn more.
- College and Career Connection is a program that exposes students to high-demand career areas and sets them on the pathway to career and educational success beyond high school. The program provides work-based learning opportunities for students in partnership with local businesses. Contact the Oelwein Center to learn more.
- Learn more about earning college credit while in high school.