High School Equivalency Diploma
The High School Equivalency Tests (HiSET) gives those who left high school prior to graduating the opportunity to earn their High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED). The HiSET exam certifies your academic knowledge is equivalent to that of a high school graduate in the following subject areas:
- Social Studies
Learn more about the HiSET and resources available including:
- HiSET Test at a Glance (PDF) or HiSET Test at a Glance Spanish (PDF)
- Benefits of the HiSET (PDF) or Benefits of the HiSET Spanish (PDF)
Eligibility and Cost
You must be at least 17 years of age to qualify for and enroll in an Iowa HSED program unless you are:
- court-ordered to attend HSED classes
- three months from your 17th birthday
There is no cost for the Northeast Iowa Community College HSED program, HiSET test fees and study materials.
Enrollment and Orientation
During this time you will learn about the program, complete enrollment forms, meet with your Adult Education and Literacy team member and create a learning plan that will be your guide toward successful completion of the HiSET exam.
Classes are offered at many locations near you including the Dubuque Center, Calmar Campus and RAMS/Oelwein Center.
To enroll or learn about upcoming sessions, please call or email:
Adult Education & Literacy
844.642.2338, ext. 3600
|Dubuque: Enrollment & Orientation Dates||Dubuque: Session Dates|
|May 8 - 11, 2023||May 15 - June 29, 2023|
|July 5 - 7, 2023||July 10 - August 31, 2023|
|September 5 - 7, 2023||September 11 - October 31, 2023|
|November 1 - 3, 2023||November 6 - December 22, 2023|
|January 2 - 4, 2024||January 8 - February 29, 2024|
|March 4 - 7, 2024||March 11 - April 30, 2024|
|May 1 - 3, 2024||May 6 - June 28, 2024|
Please be aware Dubuque parking is metered. You will want to park on Iowa St. across from McDonalds for 50¢ up to 10 hours. If you anticipate an issue paying for parking please contact us.
- Study Online: Essential education completed at home.
- Approved Homework: Completed at home.
- Meet with a Teacher: Call to schedule a Zoom or in-person appointment.
- Morning In-person Class: Monday - Thursday, 9 a.m. - Noon (Dubuque Only)
- Evening In-Person Class: Monday - Thursday, 3 - 6 p.m. (Dubuque Only)
- Tutoring In-Person: Monday - Thursday, 1 - 4 p.m. (Dubuque Only)
Completion and Graduation
Diplomas are processed through Diploma Sender after your HiSET scores are processed.
|Graduation Location||Graduation Date|
|Calmar Campus||July 12, 2023|
|Dubuque Center||July 13, 2023|
As a graduate, you have many new opportunities available:
- find a better job in just a few months with a Career Pathway Certificate
- continue your education in one of our career programs
- earn your degree tuition-free, if you qualify for Iowa's Last-Dollar Scholarship
- find a new job through IowaWorks