College and Career Connection
College and Career Connection (CCC) (formerly called Career Learning Link) is a program that exposes students to high-demand career areas and sets them on the pathway to career and educational success beyond high school. The program provides work-based learning opportunities for students in partnership with local businesses.
NICC's College and Career Connection is a member of the Iowa Intermediary Network. Visit to learn more and follow us on social media!
** Due to COVID-19, on-site work-based learning is limited, but we have new virtual experiences. Let us know how we can help you. **
Benefits for Students and Educators
- Students (and parents!) save time and money by knowing the career path to follow after high school.
- Career coaches work with students to find the right post-graduation plan.
- Opportunities for job shadows, internships and career mentoring.
Benefits for Business Partners
- Recruit future workforce by connecting with schools and individual students.
- Provide professional development to teachers regarding careers in your industry through workshops and externships.
- Serve as a career mentor to a student interested in your field of work.
College and Career Connection Resources
- College and Career Connection Recorded Virtual Events
- Middle School Career Chats Recorded Virtual Events
- Online NICC College and Career Games for Students
Statewide Intermediary Resources
- Connection Lab: Digital Downloads of Statewide Events
- Connection Lab: Register for Upcoming Live Events
Dubuque Area Virtual Events (open district-wide)
In partnership with Dubuque Area Labor-Management Council. Virtual recordings of job shadows in the fields of Marketing and Social Media, Business, Sales, Advanced Manuf, and 1st Generation College Bound, and Healthcare.
Employer & Educator Forms and Resources
- Employer Work-based Learning Checklist
- WBL Liability Basics for Employers
- Iowa Work-based Learning Guide
- High School Outreach Team
Department of Education - Sectors of Opportunity - Iowa Career Pathway Mapping Projects
- Opportunities in Advanced Manufacturing - Iowa Career Pathways
- Opportunities in Building Trades - Iowa Career Pathways
- Opportunities in Business & Financial Services
- Opportunities in Energy - Iowa Career Pathways
- Opportunities in Health Sciences - Iowa Career Pathways
- Opportunities in Information Technologies - Iowa Career Pathways
- Opportunities in Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics- Iowa
Department of Education - Industry Toolkits
|Jan. 31||NICC Career Services Healthcare Career Fair||Peosta||Students|
|Feb. 2||Women’s Empowerment & Personal Enrichment Conference | 9am-1pm||Calmar||Students|
|Feb. 7||NICC Career Services Healthcare Career Fair||Calmr||Students|
|Mar. 8||NICC Hosting AEA Science Fair - Calmar Campus||Calmar||Students|
|Mar 10||NICC Hosting AEA Science Fair - Peosta Campus||Peosta||Students|
|Mar 22||Gundersen Health Systems Exploratory Surgery Day | 8am-12pm||LaCrosse||Students|
|Apr. 7||Dubuque Area STEM Festival | University of Dubuque||Dubuque||Students|
|Apr. 13||NICC 8th Grade Career Exploration Fair | UIU Fayette||UIU-Fayette||Students|
|Apr. 28||(Tentative) | STEM Festival | Luther College||Decorah||Students|
|TBD||UNI Syndavar Lab Experience (Fall 2021)||Cedar Falls||Students|
|TBD||Counseling Psychology: The In's & Out's at Luther College Job Shadow and Visit||Decorah||Students|
|TBD||Anamosa State Penitentiary Career Experience||Anamosa||Students|
“At the day-long program at the Mayo Clinic, I performed six mock orthopedic surgeries and biomechanical engineering experiments. The Perry Outreach program and the Career Learning Link partnership allowed me to grasp a better understanding of what surgeons and engineers really do on a day-to-day basis.”
West Delaware High School graduate
“Winneshiek Medical Center has offered job shadows, tours, and experiential learning to students across the area for decades. Because experience is one of the key methods of learning used in health care, it was a natural fit to partner with the Career Learning Link to continue offering these experiences. Our collaboration with NICC College and Career Connection is important because it gives us the opportunity to connect with the bright and dedicated youth in the area who may one day become our employees.”
Elly Lensch, MLS
Winneshiek Medical Center Education Department
“My students began to see the benefits of the program right away through working with their career coach, going on job shadows and self-reflection. Participating in the College and Career Connection is for every student who wants to give their future a jump start.”
Jodi Ehlers, Business Teacher and School-to-Work Coordinator
Edgewood-Colesburg High School