Common Learning Outcomes
Common Learning Outcomes (CLOs) define the expectations of a Northeast Iowa Community College education and provide the benchmarks against which the College holds itself accountable.
Critical thinking is a process of actively and skillfully reviewing, analyzing, synthesizing, comparing, and interpreting information. Conclusions are drawn from relevant and/or missing information and connections are identified between issues. With these skills, multiple problems can be solved simultaneously. Inductive and deductive reasoning are required to perform skills sufficiently.
- Performance indicator one: Locate, interpret, and use information effectively.
- Performance indicator two: Use intellectually disciplined processes (conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing and evaluating) to solve problems.
Effective communication is the process of using appropriate techniques to facilitate the clearest possible understanding between the communicator and a target audience.
- Performance indicator one: Organization/Structure: The student will employ appropriate organizational/structural techniques throughout a message.
- Performance indicator two: Support: The student will be able to support a message.
- Performance indicator three: Technique: The student will construct a message free of technical/conventional errors.
- Performance indicator four: Purpose/Effect: The student will be able to communicate a message with a clear purpose.
The lifelong learner identifies, plans, self-evaluates and works toward achieving growth in knowledge, skills and attitudes.
- Performance indicator one: Demonstrates initiative.
- Performance indicator two: Demonstrates adaptability.
- Performance indicator three: Demonstrates awareness.
Respecting and embracing others and their differences
- Performance indicator one: Work cooperatively as a member of a team.
- Performance indicator two: Appreciate difference and its benefits.
- Performance indicator three: Make ethical decisions that respect the rights, values, and beliefs of others.