To apply for federal and state financial aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is a free financial aid application from the federal government. It needs to be completed every year and is available after January 1 for the next academic school year.
On your FAFSA application, you will need to enter a federal school code for the campus where you are planning to earn your degree. The codes for Northeast Iowa Community College are:
Calmar Campus: 004587
Peosta Campus: 012634
Documents Needed to Complete the FAFSA
- Social Security Number
- Driver's license number
- W-2 forms and other records of money earned
- Federal income tax return
- Other supplemental documents may be necessary to document income earned such as child support, social security, welfare benefits, stocks and bonds, etc. As you complete the FAFSA, you will be prompted for this documentation.
- You will need to provide your parents' tax information if your answer is no to all of the following:
- Are you age 24 or older?
- At the time you complete the FAFSA, will you be working on a master's or doctorate degree?
- Are you married as of the date you complete the FAFSA?
- Do you have children who receive more than 50 percent of their support from you or other dependents you are providing support?
- Are you an orphan or ward of the court, or were until age 18?
- Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
A new FSA ID process has replaced the PIN used by students and parents to sign their FAFSA and access other Federal Student Aid websites. All users will need to create a FSA ID and use it in order to complete a new FAFSA or make changes to an existing one.
Complete FAFSA now for the fall 2015, spring 2016, and summer 2016 semesters.
After Submitting the FAFSA
- The federal government will send you a student aid report (SAR) approximately a week after you have submitted your FAFSA. A copy will also be sent to NICC.
- NICC will notify you, via mail, that you are required to provide additional documentation in order to finalize your application. The sooner you return this information, the sooner your application will be completed. One of the additional information requests may be for tax information. Federal guidelines do not allow NICC to accept tax returns. You (and/or your parents) must link through the IRS Data Retrieval Tool or request and submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Once your application is complete, the Financial Aid Office will compile your financial aid award package and notify you through your Xpress email that your award letter is ready to be viewed.
- You will need to review your financial aid award via your Xpress email account. Once you have applied for admission and have been accepted into a program, grant money will be applied automatically to your tuition and fees. If you wish to use student loans to finance your education, additional steps are required in order to proceed.
- Contact the Financial Aid Office if you have any questions.