Health Simulation Labs
While classroom learning is essential to effective, high-quality nursing and allied health programs, it is “experiential learning” that plays the most vital role in developing solid clinical and critical thinking skills. By adding clinical learning scenarios in a health simulation laboratory, Northeast Iowa Community College creates a clinical environment similar to those found in hospitals, nursing homes and other facilities to significantly increase the amount of practice that students receive.
The Health Simulation Labs at the Calmar and Peosta campuses can be outfitted to duplicate an ambulance, emergency room, maternity suite or other clinical settings. The centerpiece of learning in these scenarios is a human patient simulator. These sophisticated, high-fidelity manikins replicate human physiology, clinical symptoms and responses with remarkable realism.
Health Lab Benefits
- A safe, controlled environment for students to practice and refine their clinical skills and decision-making abilities before working with patients.
- Improved patient safety by creating additional clinical practice opportunities; NICC is doing its part to reduce medical errors and increase patient safety.
- Students and practitioners from various disciplines can practice collaborating in realistic healthcare scenarios.
- Using sophisticated digital recording and performance assessment software created by Education Management Solutions, NICC can record student exercises and then review, critique, evaluate and report on their clinical skills ability.
- Digitally recorded simulation exercises can be viewed via the web, giving faculty and students great learning flexibility. They can view and review their performances as often as they want and from a variety of locations.
- Community partnerships with area healthcare facilities will allow further exploration and expansion of learning opportunities.
- Opportunities for continuing education through the use of simulation will be possible for community healthcare providers.
EMS Lab Benefits
- The ambulance simulator is assembled in a climate controlled classroom, providing all necessary equipment and is designed for observing students performing EMS scenarios, including tasks and protocols, in a realistic environment.
- The educator can coach and evaluate students on all EMS tasks and protocols completed within the dimensions of a high-quality, value packed ambulance training environment using suction, oxygen and electrical outlets in locations as specified by the Federal KKK-A-1822 Ambulance Purchasing Guide as in the field.
- Digitally recorded simulation exercises provide educators and students real-time remote observation and playback for debriefing, allowing for assessment on whether learning objectives have been met.
- Specialized simulation and scenario training for initial emergency medical technician to paramedic education in addition to continuing education and continuous quality improvement remediation.