Resources for Veteran Students
Veterans' Support Services
Northeast Iowa Community College (NICC) is dedicated to providing the highest quality support to student veterans, active duty military personnel, and dependents of active duty and veterans in an atmosphere that provides commitment, respect, and fosters camaraderie while stimulating academic excellence. Some of the resources available to our military-affiliated students are:
- Assistance with admissions and financial aid processes
- Referral services regarding VA benefits, G.I. Bill®, and community veterans' organizations
- Assistance with career planning, resume writing, and job search assistance
- Workshops in areas such as learning styles, test preparation, note taking, time management, stress management, and wellness
- Tutoring referrals
- Free computer and printer usage in the libraries
The Vet2Vet Mentor Program was developed by students and staff of NICC with the goal of addressing the need of veterans to have the necessary support in their journey from “boots to books." Vet2Vet peer mentors are veterans who are either discharged, still serving on active duty or members of the Guard and Reserve. These peer mentors assist other student veterans by:
- Identifying needs and referring to appropriate services on campus
- Assisting students with the adjustment to college life
- Helping veterans connect to the campus community
- Assisting with Veteran Affairs
- Providing referrals to outside organizations
Vet2Vet is a nationally recognized chapter with the Student Veterans of America (SVA) and is connected with SVA resources to help student veterans who are either discharged, still servicing on active duty or members of the Guard and Reserve.
Contact the for meeting days and times.
Veteran Crisis Line
Are you a Veteran in crisis or concerned about one? Connect with the Veterans Crisis Line to reach caring, qualified responders with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Many of them are Veterans themselves.
- Call 800.273.8255 and press 1 (800.799.4889 for deaf and hard of hearing); or
- Text a message to 838255 to connect with a VA responder; or
- Start a confidential online chat session at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat
This free support is confidential, available 24/7 and serves all veterans, all service members, National Guard and Reserve and their family members and friends.
No matter what you are experiencing, there is support for getting your life back on track. A trained responder will answer your call, text, or chat and ask you a few questions. You can decide how much you want to share.