Student Visa Process

A visa is required for all non-US citizens wishing to attend Northeast Iowa Community College. Most students apply for the F-1 non-immigrant student visa. Other types of visas (J-1 or M-1) are sometimes authorized for students.

Once the application is complete, NICC will send an I-20, Certificate of Eligibility form needed to apply for an F-1 visa at the US embassy or consulate. Apply early; this process may take several months.

The following documents will be required at the visa appointment:

  • Passport
  • SEVIS I-20, sent by NICC
  • I-901 - SEVIS and processing fee
  • Official high school and/or college transcripts
  • Financial guarantee letter

Once a student visa is obtained, students may travel to the US. At the immigration checkpoint, present a valid passport, student visa, completed I-94 (receive on the plane) and I-20 documentation to the port-of-entry official. Students must then report to the NICC Admissions Office; the College will then make copies of the student’s documents and report arrival with immigration.