International Student FAQs

Where can I find health insurance coverage?

There are a number of reliable resources for international students to use for health insurance coverage. Northeast Iowa Community College does not promote or is affiliated with any particular insurance company, but here are some insurance companies to investigate:

Are international students eligible for financial aid?

International students are not eligible for financial aid through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). However, international students are encouraged to research the financial resources available to them through various loan providers, grants, and scholarships. Below are a few resources to begin your search.

How do I transfer credits to NICC from another college or university located outside of the United States?

All transcripts must be received in English. If an international student has received college credit from outside of the United States and would desire the credits be transferred to NICC, the transcript must be evaluated through Education Credential Evaluators (ECE) prior to a credit transfer evaluation by the NICC Register's Office.

ECE offers several different services for transcript evaluation. NICC prefers the “Course by Course” option.

Does NICC offer housing for international students?

The College is non-residential but does provide housing guides which list housing options within close proximity to each campus.

What does the NICC campus look like?

Northeast Iowa Community College serves two main campuses: the Calmar campus and Peosta campus. View the campus maps to learn more.

I will be needing to drive to campus, how do I get a driver’s license?

The United States is made up of 50 states and six territories; each has its own department of motor vehicles (DMV), laws and regulations. Below is a list of resources available to international students interested in obtaining a U.S. driver’s license. Please thoroughly read the information provided in each link.

Are there opportunities to work on campus?

NICC offers a variety of work study positions available each semester for on campus employment. As an international student, you are eligible to apply and work on campus. In order to apply for a work study position, all student must have a social security number (SSN). Please see the links below on the process to obtaining a SSN.

What is an I-901?

My primary language is English; do I need to submit TOEFL scores?

It is a requirement for all international students applying for admission to submit a copy of their TOEFL scores or an official transcript showing completion of freshman level English at an accredited U.S. college or university. NICC only accepts the Internet based version of TOEFL and a minimum score of 61 must be met by the applicant. To maintain integrity to the NICC admission policies, the College does not waive any of the entry requirements or timelines.

The timeline for taking the TOEFL can be lengthy because of scheduling, test availability, and score processing. All scores must be received by the College's international application deadline dates.

Need additional assistance?

The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) is dedicated to open communications with students and school officials to provide support while studying in the United Sates.