High School Equivalency Diploma
The high school equivalency diploma (HSED, formerly known as GED) program provides an opportunity to those who did not finish high school to earn a diploma from the State of Iowa. The High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) is available in English and Spanish.
Books are available upon request. The exam fee is $50 and is paid online when scheduling first appointment for exam. The diploma fee is $10 and is paid online after final completed exam. Financial assistance is available for the exam fee only; inquire with an instructor.
Exams and Scoring
Students may test at one of three NICC testing centers: Calmar, Peosta or the Dubuque Center. The five exams must be completed within a five year period from date of first official exam. The exams consist of the following:
|Subject||Number of Questions||Time Limit|
|Language Arts, Reading||40 questions||65 minutes|
|Social Studies||50 questions||70 minutes|
|Science||50 questions||80 minutes|
|Mathematics||50 questions||90 minutes|
|Language Arts, Writing||50 questions and essay||2 hours|
Each exam is worth 20 points for 100 points total. You must score at least 8 on each exam and have 45 points overall (an average of 9) to receive your HSED. If you need to retake an exam, your instructor will help with review and recertification. If all five exams are purchased for $50, two retakes of each subject are included. If exams are purchased individually, a fee of $10 per exam will be charged.
Please select the location below for HSED class details. For the most up-to-date class times, contact the Adult Education and Literacy office, 888.642.2338, ext. 105.
During severe weather, listen for announcements of individual NICC center or campus closings; follow local school district decisions at non-NICC sites.
- Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Location: 1625 Hwy 150 S, Student Center Room 206
- Tuesday, 3 -5:15 p.m. and Thursday, 3:30 - 5:45 p.m.
- Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. (HSED/Refresher Services)
Location: Cresco Center, 1020 2nd Avenue SE
- Monday - Thursday, 7:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Location: Dubuque Center 700 Main Street
Please call Tiffany Cooley, administrative assistant for Adult Education and Literacy, for the next available class session at 563.557.8271, ext. 105
Dyersville: James Kennedy Public Library
- Every other Saturday, 10:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. (Spanish HSED also available)
Location: 320 1st Avenue E
- Monday and Thursday, 4 - 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Location: Manchester Regional Education Partnership, 1200 ½ Main Street
New Hampton: St. John's School
- Wednesday, 6 - 9 p.m. (Spanish HSED also available)
Location: 823 W. Main Street
- Monday, 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, 7:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Location: 8342 NICC Drive, Main Building 219 (Learning Center)
- Monday and Wednesday, 7 - 9 p.m.
- Tuesday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Location: 313 W Post Street, Community Room
Oelwein: Regional Academy for Math and Science (RAMS)
- Monday and Thursday, 4 - 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Location: 1400 Technology Drive
- Monday 12:30 - 3 p.m.
- Wednesday 8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Thursday 10 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Friday 12:30 - 3 p.m.
Location: Waukon Center, 1220 3rd Avenue, NW, Suite 102