High School

Everyone’s educational goals are unique. Northeast Iowa Community College accommodates these needs by offering several programs to complete or enhance your high school education.

Whether you are looking to save money by starting your college career early or searching for a way to efficiently complete your high school curriculum, NICC can guide you to success.

Click the statements below to help determine your needs and how NICC can assist you.

I’m a high school student that’s interested in earning college credit.

NICC High School Partnerships allows current high school students to earn college credit in a variety of ways including Post Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO), concurrent enrollment (classes taught within your high school), career and technical consortiums and through articulated classes.

I earned college credit in high school. What do I do with it now?

Congrats on earning your college credit! There are a couple options for what you can do with those credits once you graduate high school.

You can enroll in a program at NICC or another college of your choice. Your earned credits may satisfy requirements towards completion of a degree, diploma or certificate program.

You may also be able to complete your associate degree and transfer your credits as a package into a four-year institution.

This would allow you to enroll at the four-year college with junior status. You can also transfer any credits earned at NICC while in high school to the four-year college or university of your choice by requesting a transcript.

I’m a high school student (or parent). How can I prepare for college or the workforce?

Lucky for you, NICC offers opportunities to both help you determine your future career and earn college credit at the same time.

If you are interested in learning about high-demand career areas, participate in Northeast Iowa Career Learning Link. Students and parents will save time and money by knowing what career path is best after high school. Northeast Iowa Career Learning Link partners with local businesses to provide job shadows, internships and more.

If you are interested in preparing for college, NICC High School Partnerships provides several opportunities for you to earn college credit either on campus or in your high school classrooms. You can then take these credits with you as you complete a degree at NICC or transfer them to another institution.

I don’t know what to do after high school.

If you are a current high school student, you can talk to your counselor to help determine the best path for you. You may also participate in Northeast Iowa Career Learning Link, which will give you access to a career coach and opportunities for local job shadows and career mentoring. Your career coach will work with you to find the right post-graduation plan.

Once you’ve graduated high school, you can enter the workforce or enroll at NICC or another college of your choice. NICC offers several Career Pathway Certificates that are specially designed to provide job skills and hands-on training to help you gain entry-level employment. These career pathway certificates can be completed in 12 months or less.

If you would like to continue your education, you can enroll at NICC and study any one of our more than 60 degree programs. You can earn a diploma, certificate or Associate of Applied Science to enter the workforce quickly. You may also earn your associate’s degree and transfer those credits to a four-year institution to go one an earn your bachelor’s degree.

I'm a high school student with an active Individual Education Plan (IEP). and I’m interested in earning college credit.

The Pave Program, located on the NICC Peosta campus, is a secondary special education program which allows students to participate in community college courses and explore vocational programs while completing their diplomas.

The College’s Disability Services Office can also assist students with IEPs by providing access, accommodations and advocacy as needed.

High school isn’t for me. Is there another way to earn my diploma?

NICC offers two options for those students who aren’t interested in the traditional high school experience: alternative high school or earning your high school equivalency diploma (HSED).

Alternative high school provides students the opportunity to earn their diploma through flexible, individualized instruction. Students are encouraged to take responsibility for their learning through independent study and non-traditional methods.

NICC also provides classes to earn your HSED at several locations in northeast Iowa. This preparation is individualized, so you may attend these classes at your own pace.

I’m a business that is interested in work-based learning for high school or college students.

Businesses that are interested in offering work-based learning opportunities, such as job shadows, internships and career mentoring, to area students are encouraged to reach out to the Northeast Iowa Career Learning Link (CLL). CLL’s partnerships with local businesses allow you to recruit your future workforce exposing students to high demand career areas.

I'm a high school instructor who would like to articulate my CTE class.

High school instructors can articulate classes to allow high school students to earn college credit in an NICC career and technical program. Faculty members at the College will work with instructors to identify common competencies at both the high school and college level.

View current articulation agreements with area high schools.

I would like to teach a college credit course.

Concurrent enrollment instructors are expected to have credentials equivalent to those required of NICC adjunct instructors. For example, a master’s degree in the subject area is required for arts and sciences transfer level courses. Consideration is given to relevant education and work experience for career and technical courses. For more information, please see the Instructor Handbook.

Contact Us

Calmar Campus
1625 Hwy 150 South
Calmar, Iowa 52132
Hours: M-F, 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Peosta Campus
8342 NICC Drive
Peosta, Iowa 52068
Hours: M-Th, 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Friday, 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.